New work by Holly Coley. Contact Holly.Coley@gmail.com
All work copyright Holly Coley 2009.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Lord Marmalade by Holly Coley 2011


Casual Halo, 18''x24'' oil on panel, Holly Coley 2011
WWRD by Holly Coley 2011

Roy in Sequins and White Leather by Holly Coley 2011
Evaluate and Discuss the Technique and Process: I feel that this body of work references the history of religious painting tradition in that I draw from Byzantine art and Christian portraiture.
My process for these paintings were risky considering I used so many new processes and technique for the first time.  For instance: using projections, large scale works, gold leaf, the use of colored gesso instead of painting a ground on top of the gesso, the application of paint as make-up, and the use of several layers of paint, (usually I work in one or two thin layers), these paintings are working with more perspective and depth of field then past works because I was working directly from source material. Because I worked directly from photographs I projected a sketchy outline of each work in pencil before application of paint. 
Lorde Marmalade:  I felt that the completion of Lord Marmalade was risky because it has undergone so many changes and layers.  The only reason I took it as far as I did was because I decided to stop being so safe in my painting style and take risks such as painting over areas I thought were good enough on their own.
WWRD: This painting had a rocky start, this work has undergone more changes then any other. I didn't know completely what I wanted it to look like.  Putting the panel away for a month and coming back to it was a big help and helped me see my ideas more clearly.  The use of gold leaf was instrumental in rekindling my interest in this painting as well as finding success in painting the skin tone in green and cream, a feat I couldn't get my head around the first time.   I painted this work four times before finding what I was looking for.  In the making of this work I discovered a new process: I wiped it out, painted it again, sanded out parts I that didn't work, then finally added in the face of Roy with gold leaf and it all came together. I have been studying the Art of South Asia and feel that Hindu calender art greatly inspired me in this work because Roy does look like a hybrid Hindu god meets glam rocker with halo sort of character. 


No comments: